Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Will the austerity plan create jobs?

Yes it will.

Having lived ten years in the United States, I have tired of hearing the same old speech that is designed to promote fear. Marilyn Manson explained the reasons why very eloquently in the Michael Moore film "Bowling for Columbine".

At last, a President that looks ahead to the future! A true entrepreneur, who encourages risk, innovation, with (wait for it) even less resources than before, in return for a great reward.

The State of the Union speech signals the end to spending taxpayers' money to "boost the economy." To my chagrin, and that of my fellow Americans, I've seen my money go up in smoke. Unemployment is flirting dangerously with the headline 10% number, and new investment is now going to Singapore and so are the jobs (mine too). Only last summer, I found it exceptionally hard to hire a Ruby on Rails developer in Singapore, but now that's changing...

Anyway, back to my country: with signals come expectations. If expectations are met, credibility follows. A credible commitment to reduce public debt would spur investment and therefore job creation. And, create more long term investment if our bondholders found the value of their bonds stabilizing.

Mr Obama, thank you. I aspire to be an entrepreneur like yourself.

Alam Kasenally

No comments: