Saturday, May 1, 2010

do Antz have lungs?

I recently had the privilege of watching about 20 minutes of Dreamworks' "Antz" with Yasin on my way back from Palo Alto.

Two things:

The "chewing gum" scene was amazing - I always wondered what an ant went through stuck to the bottom of a piece of chewing gum which in turn was stuck to the bottom of a Reebok sneaker.

I almost dropped my iPhone when I saw the female ant lead (voiced by Sharon Stone) attempt Mouth to Mouth resuscitation on "Z", the renegade soldier mouthed, I mean voiced, by Woody Allen.

Huh?

I always thought that ants breathed using passive diffusion through tracheoles in their abdomens (which were clearly not visible in the animation). So forcing air down an ant's gullet isn't likely to result in any resuscitation as the ant has no lungs!

But maybe four year olds are not supposed to know that?
Or that Antz have lungs and ants don't?
Or maybe snogging Woody Allen was in Sharon Stone's contract?

I forgot to ask Yasin whether these ants carried cellphones, like Scooby Doo's digitally remastered friends do, way before cellphones were invented (in the 1970s).

What will they think of next?

No comments: